Thursday, January 24, 2008

On My Mind

There is nothing worse then starting a book, being captured by the first page and thoroughly enjoying it until you are startled by ludity in language (namely the f word) or sexual content that makes you uncomfortable. And inevitably you have to stop reading and do not get to enjoy the ending. I have decided that books need ratings. Why has no one made a committee to monitor books? Makes no sense. We are somewhat warned with movies and tv shows- why not books? Just thinking.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I totally agree.

That's why I usually stick with the classics, biographies, and youth books.

Wanna read some good books? Try anything by Gene Stratton Porter. Or Little Britches, by Ralph Moody. I can recommend others if you wish, but those could get you started.

Amy said...

Thanks Wendy!

abby said...

Wow, I could not agree with you more. I'm having the same problem with a book right now. I'm in the middle of it, but there are these awful parts I'm having to skip over. I don't have the heart to just quit it, though. I agree with Wendy, the classics are the best. I'm gonna stick to those.

Nicole said...

You are usually a little safer when you read young adult books but even then I have come across the same problem. I have decided there needs to be a clearplay for books where it blacks out all the bad stuff. Maybe I should start it up. What do you think?

Michelle said...

I'm totally with you!! Let's start up a business!